I found some delicious looking short-ribs while strolling through Whole Foods on Saturday. I decided they would be perfect for Sunday dinner, as braising them would definitely take some time. I followed this recipe for Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, but made a couple of changes. Some worked, some failed.
1. I used olive oil instead of canola oil, which made no difference but I prefer to use olive oil.
2. I used beef stock instead of chicken stock, which was delicious, but I’m sure that chicken stock would have been great too.
3. I used oregano over rosemary simply because I didn’t have any rosemary.
4. I used zucchini and mushrooms instead of carrots and celery because again, that is what I had in my fridge. I think using zucchini was a mistake as it became very mushy and there wasn’t much crunch or texture. However, the mushrooms were a welcome addition. I wish I had used mushrooms and carrots.
5. I added a bit of butter while reducing the sauce which is always a win.
The short-ribs are seared after being dusted with flour and set aside while the vegetables are sauteed. Then the wine, stock, herbs, and tomato paste are added to the vegetables and reduced down just a bit before adding the short-ribs back into the pot. The whole pot is placed in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours. When there was about 40 minutes left on the timer, I started my polenta. I served the short-ribs and vegetables over the polenta and topped with a generous helping of the reduced sauce.
The sauce was velvety and delicious. The wine and beef stock add so much flavor and the short ribs are so tender that they fall apart slightly. This really was very simple, but it does take a while in the oven, so you have to plan for that. It was the perfect Sunday dinner!
Now, for a give-away!!!!
Blue Apron gives you meals to send to your friends and family after using their services for a certain amount of time and I want to share it with all of you! I now have three free Blue Apron meals for the first three people to comment below!
Have a great Monday, y’all!